What makes a man a hero?
It was not an easy journey for those early pioneers who faced many hardships. Yet over time a code of honor took shape – The Code of the West.
Western historian Ramon Adams, in his book, The Cowman and His Code of Ethics, explained it well. “Back in the days when the cowman with his herds made a new frontier, there was no law on the range. Lack of written law made it necessary for him to frame some of his own, thus developing a rule of behavior which became known as the ‘Code of the West.’”
- Live each day with courage.
- Take pride in your work.
- Always finish what you start.
- Do what has to be done.
- Be tough but fair.
- When you make a promise, keep it.
- Ride for the brand.
- Take less and say more.
- Remember that some things aren’t for sale.
- Know where to draw the line.